Like many bloggers, I’m making a New Year’s Resolution to blog more. But this year, I actually want to do my New Year’s Resolutions. So I’m sharing my list with you all (because research actually does show us that public goal setting helps us accomplish those goals), both writing and personal goals.
1. I am going to blog on a schedule. Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays. I’m not going to do a theme for the days, I’m just going to blog on those days on both of my blogs and I’m going to pull myself together, even if it’s just a little blog post about a book I read and that I recommend it.
2. I am going to take a photo of my bedroom every day for my tumblr The Beds We Wake In where I reblog photos of bedrooms. It sounds weird, and potentially creepy, but I love the untold stories in those rooms. I love rumpled beds, I love beds with one dented pillow and one undented pillow, I love beds with pillows tossed everywhich way, I love made beds. I love what is, or is not, around the bed in room, books and lamps and cigarettes and CDs and a collection of mugs with old tea bags or cats. I think there’s a lot in a photo of a bedroom. It’s a peek into the private, even when it’s a very composed photo of a made bed in a tidy room. I like the idea of being able to look back over a blog and see the different ways in which my bedroom reflected my life in that moment. I also think that a daily photo will make me keep a neat and tidy bedroom 😉 I can’t be posting dirty clothes everywhere, can I.
3. I am going to try and be more organized at home. My home tends to be a place I am only in in transition, and that’s partially because I’m constantly overwhelmed by the amount of cleaning, organizing, etc, I need to do there. I need to get it under control, and then keep it under control, and I bet I’ll see myself using home more often as a haven than a place to throw my body down to sleep.
4. I am going to reduce the amount of fostering I do, for monetary and stress reasons. I spent the last year taking on a high number of cats with high rates of special needs, both medical and behavioral. As a result, I’ve had a few cats in foster care for over a year, and I am tired and broke and I need to take a bit of a break, both for my cats’ sake and my sake.
5. I am going to edit the stories I write.
6. I am going to read 100 new books this year or approximately 2 new books a week. I’m onto book 2 this week already!
7. I am going to work on my own negative self talk and body shaming. I need to come to peace with myself at some level.
8. I am going to send out something written into the world, either poems to a journal or query an agent for one of my finished projects.
9. I will take steps to attain the degree and job I want.
10. I will be brave, I will seek joy, I will not be afraid to fail.